It’s no secret that sports dominate our lives as Americans from childhood all the way to the end of adulthood which makes protecting these memories even more important.
Sports Memories Range from Youth Leagues to Professional Sports
Did you know that a staggering 71.8% of kids in the US participated in at least one sporting activity in 2018? In one way or another, sports touch all of our lives. We bond over our love for our local team. We argue, laugh or even cry over wins and losses whether it’s a youth sports team or pro leagues.
It’s hard to quantify just how many Americans watch sports regularly, but some sources estimate that over 150 million people in the US watched live sports at least once a month in 2019. The point is that sports in America matter deeply to us all and the memories deserve to be preserved and passed down to future generations. Here are a few of our top tips for preserving your sports memories for a lifetime:
How to Protect Sports Memories From Damage
- Avoid Direct Sunlight: exposure to the harmful UV rays associated with direct sunlight can fade or drain the color from almost anything ranging from baseball cards to basketball jerseys. Try to avoid hanging items in the path of harsh or direct sunlight.
- Frame with Premium Glass or Acrylic: choosing the right glass options has never been more important. Did you know that acrylic weighs less than half that of glass and is about 10 – 20 times stronger? When selecting premium glass choices for protecting sports memories, it’s critical to opt for anti-reflective, anti-glare, and anti-UV ray glazing options. Learn more about the 6 types of picture framing glass.
- Control Humidity in the Room: water in the air (commonly known as humidity) has a huge impact on the life span of art or sports memorabilia. Most climate controlled buildings have humidity levels between 30%-50% but if you live in an especially humid area, it may be best to monitor it. Best practices say that humidity should be held at or around 50%.
- Keep Glass or Acrylic Very Clean: dust is the enemy of art or sports memorabilia. It’s important to keep the surface glass or acrylic of your framed sports memories extremely clean and free of dust. Be sure to use a soft non-abrasive cloth or microfiber towel and avoid using harsh chemicals when cleaning sensitive items.
Top Ways to Frame Unique Sports Memorabilia
Framing is not only meant for photos! Custom framing for a jersey or piece of clothing is a great way to display your collectables as well as providing a way to protect it from the elements. Framing clothing items can typically be done using a shadow box or even a traditional frame. Examples of common clothing items that can be framed include:
- Team flags
- Much more
Protecting Paper items or Autographed Items
Paper items are typically very delicate and sensitive to damage from the elements. The risk of damage to paper items increases even more after years of aging. Unprotected paper memories or autographs can easily be subject to folding/crumpling, stains, water damage, and fading from UV rays making it even more important to add protection. It’s important to consult a custom framing service for protecting important paper or autographed items because they have decades of expertise. While not inexpensive, custom framers can help ensure items are protected for generations to come by selecting the right glass options and frame options for optimal protection. A few examples of paper items for framing include:
- Autographed memorabilia
- Poster or artwork
- Baseball trading cards
- Framing tickets
Preserving Sports Equipment
Did you know that an autographed piece of sports equipment is also at risk of damage from the elements? The best way to protect a piece of equipment while displaying it would be to use a shadow box or even a custom case. Be sure to pay close attention to the type of glass or acrylic to prevent fading from harmful UV rays. Examples of unique sports equipment worth displaying include:
- Baseball gloves
- Game balls
- Game pucks or hockey sticks
- Baseball bats
- Football helmets
Tru Vue: Helping Preserve Sports Memories Since 1946
Tru Vue provides the absolute best glass and acrylic options for any situation — whether you’re displaying a little league photo or preserving priceless, irreplaceable autographed baseball gloves. Learn more about our comprehensive product line here, where we break down the characteristics of each, as well as their ideal applications.
Share this Article:
This article is intended for educational purposes only and does not replace independent professional judgment. Statements of fact and opinions expressed are those of the author(s) individually and, unless expressly stated to the contrary, are not the opinion or position of Tru Vue or its employees. Tru Vue does not endorse or approve, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, accuracy or completeness of the information presented.